perhaps it's a blogger cliche to find the best chocolate chip cookie recipe & swear by it, but i simply couldn't keep this discovery from you. to be honest, i'm a break & bake girl. if i'm going to bake, i tend to think i should do something more orginal than classic chocolate chip cookies, so i usually just do break & bake if i'm in the mood for them.
that said, i've been seriously craving chocolate chip cookies since ellie arrived (i really don't want to know how many i've had in the past two months) & so last week i decided to make some from scratch. a quick search of my google reader starred entries led me to this post and these cookies, which i'm now totally in love with:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
• preheat the oven to 325 degrees. grease cookie sheets.
• sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. in a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended.
• beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended.
• stir in the chocolate chips using a wooden spoon. drop rounded balls of cookie dough, about a spoonful at a time, onto the prepared cookie sheets. cookies should be about 3 inches apart.
• bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until the edges are lightly toasted. cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
*be sure you have friends to share with immediately!