like most december birthdays, i was pretty adamant as a child about the importance of my birthday. (going so far as to tell random people discussing christmas in department stores, "FIRST my birthday, THEN christmas") well, at the ripe age of 27 that has changed a little, but i couldn't resist finding a bunch of lovely birthday images on pinterest & sharing 27 things i love with you (& links to a ton of related posts!):
1. a perfect latte in a coffee shop with lots of character.
2. yoga after a lloonngg day.
3. movies with the husband. in a theater, on our couch, i love escaping with him & getting to talk about it after.
4. haribo gummy bears & cherry twizzlers
5. visiting friends. walking their streets. eating in their restaurants. having 6 or so meals and three or so coffees to REALLY catch up.
6. road trips, no matter the distance.
7. what ryan calls "mary places" -- patachou in naptown, o'suzannah in c'ville, boot in norfolk, duh in pensacola, church key in dc, i could go on. i love finding new ones, visiting tried and true ones, getting lost.
8. my brother. he's hilarious. more on that soon - a special johno santa edition.
9. the 11 or so girls who i go through life with. they live in atlanta, c'ville, new orleans, chapel hill, boston, boise, dc, dallas, denver, san fran, athens and we email/play phone tag/bbm/text/visit/send smoke signals/send mail/remember the important days/make time when it doesn't exist/go out of our way and in the end, we're doing this together and it is so, so good.
10. really good worship. being a part of a church that exists for broken people and has a heart for the community it lives in.
12. having people in our home. for dinner. for the weekend. as a respite. to celebrate. i love, love, love opening our door and having a really broad definition of family. i'm blessed that ryan feels the same way.
14. seeing my friends loved well. one joy i didn't anticipate about this time in life is what a deep joy it is to see your friend loved well. i am so, so emotional at weddings. i have such an appreciation for what a young marriage takes & just how heartbreaking it can be when you enter that covenant with the wrong person. i love how my friend's husbands become dear friends & watching them navigate life side by side.
16. chicago & san fran -- my two favorite cities ever.
17. this blog. going on a year & it has been such a great space for creativity, to meet wonderful people like you, and to tell a story.
18. j. crew. i can't help it. i just love their clothes.
20. my family -- i am so blessed.
21. that kinda laughter -- the kind where you can't talk and can barely take a breath.
22. those kind of conversations -- the ones you can't forget.
23. a really good book.
24. really worthy causes: education reform, wounded veterans finding their sense of purpose here at home, finding a cure for parkinson's disease.
27. being ryan's wife and going through life with him. there aren't words.